Here at Casitas Tenorio B&B we prove that sustainable tourism can flourish. We work to make a positive impact at our property, and in the community beyond, to preserve our environment and culture for future generations. We seek to be the change that we want to see in the world and to constantly reflect on our practices.
We do our best to reduce, reuse and recycle throughout our business.
We are currently engaged in the Certificate for Sustainable Tourism (CST) program and the Blue Flag (Bandera Azul) program.
Energy — We have a solar drying area to reduce the amount of electricity we use for laundry. By setting our casitas in the landscape we have been able to reduce the energy we use to cool them. We use energy-efficient light bulbs and, where possible, automatic lighting controls. Our water heaters are instant water heaters which use less energy than heaters which keep water warm all the time. We track our energy use on a regular basis to see if there are problems that need to be addressed.
Water — Part of our routine maintenance includes checking for water leaks to ensure no water is wasted Our staff are trained in using “green” practices and our guests are encouraged to support us by doing things like turning off lights and using less water. We collect and use rainwater in our dairy operation. Our gardens and lawns use rainwater only.
We have use recycled and salvaged materials in the construction of buildings and furniture at Casitas. Our organic kitchen waste is either composted or fed to the chickens! Some of our food is produced on our farm (eggs, milk, cheese, butter, bread, fruits, jams).
We use recycled paper in our office and purchase toilet paper and napkins from a company that engages in sustainable practices. Our laundry products are all biodegradable.
On our farm, we use organic and permacutlure methods, grow local plants in our gardens and actively protect habitats for animals. We have a reforestation project on our property and periodically plant trees in the local biological corridor. We don’t use any single use plastics.
Certificate of Sustainable Tourism (CST) and also the Bandera Azul (Blue Flag)
We have started the process to apply for the Certificate of Sustainable Tourism (CST) and also the Bandera Azul program in Costa Rica. We strive to live in harmony with nature on a daily basis and have periodic staff meetings to discuss our progress and implement new practices.
‘Quiet Neighbour attitude’ — we don’t have any unnecessary noise, music, engines, lighting and we respect our neighbors.
FairOur employees are from the community, both full-time workers and contractors. They are paid according to the legal requirements which includes providing pension, health care and yearly bonus. We provide training of all types for our employees, including continuing education opportunities. Members of our staff have participated in the Rainforest Alliance training programs.
Promoting and using local tour operators and local activities is a priority.
Support local artists with the murals and paintings in each Casita
We are a founding member of the Costa Rican Chamber for Rural Tourism (CANTURUAL), a national organization founded to help promote rural tourism.
Casitas Tenorio has been accepted as a Gold level GreenLeader into the TripAdvisor® GreenLeaders™ program, which helps travellers around the world plan greener trips by highlighting hotels and B&Bs engaging in environmentally-friendly practices. TripAdvisor GreenLeaders properties have met a set of environmental standards developed to recognise providers’ green efforts: the more green practices a hotel has in place, the higher its GreenLeader level.
We are proud members of the ‘Dona Tapa’ (Donate a Lid) initiative. The initiative involves collecting plastic lids and then recycle them into plastic ‘wood’ boards. The accessible tourism network is coordinating the intiave. The boards will be used to create paths on beaches in Costa Rica to allow people in wheelchairs to access beaches.
We live here. We love our community. We are active citizens. We are members of our local Development Association, the local Chamber of Tourism, the local water board and our local Citizens Road Committee to help improve access to our location as well as to our neighbors’ homes and farms. We have coordinated volunteer groups of university students and high school students to work on development projects in our community and helped other small businesses in our community with their tourism projects.
We have worked on many community projects over many years at Casitas Tenorio
- We have delivered environmental education programs to groups and schools
- We developed and delivered a school holiday camp ‘Camp Green’ for local school students
- We are members of our local development association
- We are members of our local chamber of tourism
- We have worked with the local schools and Old people’s home to provide day trips to Casitas Tenorio.
- Casitas Tenorio engages in the ‘”Quiet Neighbour attitude” we don’t have any unnecessary noise, music, engines, lighting etc
- We provide our guests information about activities in the area
- We are members of our local road committee
- We have delivered English courses classes in the village
- We have helped schools, youth group and old people’s home with donations
- We have coordinated volunteer groups of university students and high school students to work on development projects in our community
- We have worked with local groups including the local development association and the municipality on various projects
- We have provided training and guidance to locals with tourism businesses
- We hire local staff from our community as full time workers as contractors
- We ask our guests for cooperation in reducing water use of unnecessary sheet or towel washing.
- We provide local community members with employment and training.
- We pay our employees according to the local award (including overtime) and provide insurance
- We support our employees to participate in training course and university studies
- We are committed to the values of rural tourism
- We support and promote the use or local tour operators and destinations
- Support local artists with the murals and paintings in each Casita
- We are a founding member of the Costa Rican Chamber for Rural Tourism (CANTURUAL)
- We hire local guides to provide tours of the area
- Our staff have participated in Rainforest Alliance training programs